I thought this was a fascinating story of niche expertise: https://www.thebroadcastbridge.com/content/entry/2399/when-it-comes-to-parabolic-mics-larger-is-not-always-betterAre there any lessons in there for your custom software development business?Of course I think there are 🙂 Here’s a sort of mini “study guide” to help you pick out the parts that might be relevant to your business:
- How did the opportunity to build a better parabolic microphone find its way to Patrick Santini and Paul Terpstra?
- How did the client (the Fox network) think of these people? (positioning is the fancy word for how your clients, prospects, and the larger market you serve think of you)
- What role did expertise play in this story?
- What role did disruption and iteration play in this story?
- What role did industry events play in this story?
- How long did it take for Santini and Terpstra to become “successful”?
- What came first? The product, or the use case for the product?
That’s probably enough questions for now.