If you neglect the following “defaults” of human behavior, you will find that your marketing often fails to work:
- The default response of a human being to seeing your website or other artifacts of your marketing is to misunderstand or ignore it.
- The default response of a human being to hearing what you do for a living is to quickly forget it. (How quickly have you forgotten just the name of a person you’ve just met?)
- The default response of a prospective client to hearing about what you can do for them is to not trust you.
These defaults are what causes most marketing to fail. Al Ries, in his book on positioning, describes the problem of information overload from the perspective of someone living in the early 1980’s, before we invited the Internet and ubiquitous wireless computing into every corner of our lives. The level of information overload Ries was describing circa early 1980’s has been amplified many times over since then. It’s primarily this modern information hyper-overload combined with our ancient human hard-wiring that causes the default human behavior that causes most marketing to fail.
Each of the three human behavioral defaults I described above has an inverse quality that can be helpful. If you recognize and work with these inverse qualities of our human defaults, your attempts to earn visibility and trust from prospective clients can avoid failure. In fact, they can be effective.
- The default response of a human who is a member of a social group is to treat other members of their social group better than outsiders.
- The default response of a human who has a problem that they are aware of is to be on high alert for a solution to that problem. The more important and urgent the problem, the greater the solution-awareness.
- The default response of a human who encounters another human with high perceived status is to treat that high-status human better than lower-status humans, including trusting them more by default.
Specialization helps you use these helpful defaults in human behavior to earn visibility and trust from clients more effectively.