In my work with hundreds of self-employed software developers on positioning, I’ve found 7 “rate multipliers”.
These are things that justify premium rates. Here they are:
- Developing demonstrable expertise in a specific type of client’s needs, jargon, and worldview
- Developing demonstrable expertise in using technology to solve a particularly valuable (preferably evergreen) business problem
- Being able to reduce risk as you do #1, #2, or both
- Being able to deliver results very quickly when needed
- Being trusted more than alternative options
- Demonstrating overwhelming proof that you are the “go-to person” for this problem, need, or situation
- Being a source of better advice than others
What about you? Is there a #8 that you would add to this list based on your experience?
Narrowing your marketing focus first–and the focus of your entire business over time–helps cultivate all 7 of these rate multipliers.
If your dev shop got fewer than 10 leads last week, you need to take this free email course –> http://positioningcrashcourse.com