🎵🎵 Now they surrounded the house
They smoked him out
They took him off in chains
The sky turned black and bruised
And we had months of heavy rains
Now the ravens nest in the rotted roof
Of Chenoweth’s old place
And noone’s asking Cal
About that scar upon his face
‘Cause there’s nothin’ strange
About an axe with bloodstains in the barn
There’s always some killin’
You got to do around the farm
A murder in the red barn
Murder in the red barn 🎵🎵
–Murder in the Red Barn, Tom Waits
So I guess now’s the time for me to share my one Tom Waits sighting with you.
I live just west of Sebastopol, CA. So does Tom Waits.
About a year ago I was walking down the main street in Sebastopol and saw this strangely familiar guy coming the other way. About 10 feet away from him, I recognized that it was Tom Waits.
When you’re walking full speed and the other person is walking full speed the other way, 10 feet is just enough distance for your jaw to kind of drop open and your eyes to get real big and stare for a semi-awkward moment before you pass each other. And that is precisely what I did. Tom Waits somehow managed to play things way cooler about having his first Philip Morgan sighting. 😉
Here’s the photo I snapped as soon as I could pull my phone out of my pocket:
Yeah, I know. That kind of looks like those photos you see of Bigfoot or the Lock Ness Monster. But trust me, it really was Tom Waits and his wife Kathleen Brennan. And he really did open the car door for her, like a gentleman. Larger photo here: https://pmc-dotcom-uploads.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/uploads/2017/03/tom-waits.png
Anyway, when you transition from a generalist to a more focused specialist, there’s always some killin’ you got to do around the farm.
Killin’ off case studies or portfolio items that don’t reinforce your position any more.
Killin’ off client relationships that don’t fit your new focus.
Killin’ off marketing assets that don’t align with your new focus.
As you probably know, I am developing an online course to help you make this transition from generalist to more focused specialist.
As you may or may not know, the difference between a book and a course is not that the course uses a learning management system or that it is more expensive (although some people seem to be confused about that point 🙂 ).
Instead, the difference is that the book is an information dump. A well-structured one, hopefully! But at the end of the day, it’s simply a way to deliver information.
A course is also a way to deliver information, but that’s only 20% of its function. The other 80% is to provide the structure, support, and accountability you need to successfully navigate a difficult change.
That’s what my course is going to be.
I’m starting by delivering the course as a live workshop: https://philipmorganconsulting.com/positioning-workshop/
Why? To get your feedback.
If you attend the workshop, you’ll also get the course when it’s done. So really, you’ll get both a live group experience and the course.
Since the workshop is a live event, it won’t be available for very long. The cutoff date for registration is Nov 7, 2016, so do not tarry: https://philipmorganconsulting.com/positioning-workshop/
Hope to see you there,
If your dev shop got fewer than 10 leads last week, you need to take this free email course –> http://positioningcrashcourse.com