A 4-Week Online Positioning Workshop
I'm teaching an online positioning workshop soon. The goal is to help you move from a generalist position to focused specialist with minimum risk, maximum speed, and more structure, support, and accountability than my book is able to offer. And with less cost than my mentoring program involves.
- Limited to 30 people
- Live meeting times: 9am Pacific on November 9, 16th, 23rd, and Dec 7 (that's right, no meeting on Nov 30th. You'll need the time for extra homework 🙂 ). Meetings will be 60 to 90 minutes each and recorded in case you miss one.
- We'll meet using Zoom's meeting software.
- There will be homework, mileposts, and structure at every point. You'll know exactly what you should be working on each week.
- There will be a high level of support and direct access to me via private Facebook group.
- The first 10 seats are available at $350 (theses are sold out), the next 10 at $500 (10 of these left), and the last 10 at $700.
- You'll have to fill out a brief application form. I want to make sure this workshop is right for you, so I'll ask a few questions about your background and goals to make sure it is.
- You'll also get the Complete Bundle version of The Positioning Manual for Technical Firms ($99 when purchased separately) when you register.
How long you have to think about this and decide or... miss out if you don't take action:
Registration closes November 7, 2016 at the stroke of midnight Pacific time.
Use this link to reserve time on your calendar NOW so you don't double-book anything:
Putting this workshop on your calendar doesn't mean you have to sign up for the workshop. Putting it on your calendar doesn't mean you get the workshop for free either. You still have to pay for it. 🙂
This is really just an easy way for you to block out time NOW so you don't double-book yourself and miss any live meetings (they'll be recorded though so even if you do miss them you won't fall behind).
Add Session 1 to your calendar
Add Session 2 to your calendar
Add Session 3 to your calendar
Add Session 4 to your calendar
Session 1 (Nov 9, 9am Pacific time)
- What is positioning?
- How positioning benefits your business
- Why narrow is better than general
- Horizontal vs. vertical positioning
- Choosing a focus
- Inventory strengths and interests
Session 2 (Nov 16, 9am Pacific)
- The criteria of a strong market position
- The list-building test
- The per-niche proof stress test
- The meetup test
- What to do when you don’t find anything
- Positioning statement format options
- Understanding differentiation
- Creating your positioning statement
- Common market positions and other examples
- Stress-test your top 2 or 3 market positions and pick a winner
- Draft several positioning statement variations
Session 3 (Nov 23, 9am Pacific)
- How to find out where clients are
- Questions to ask to probe for expensive problems
- What to do after you identify expensive problems
- Build a prospect list and do some surveys or brief interviews to discover pain points and other data to iterate on positioning
- Iterate positioning statement as needed individually or via community support channel
Session 4 (Dec 7, 9am Pacific)
- What your website should communicate (goals)
- Pages to create
- Writing copy for your site
- Website template, guidelines, and process
Lectures over, transition to community group support for followthrough/support on website setup
Who is this workshop ideal for?
If you're a self-employed generalist who is ready to implement the simplest, lowest-risk possible version of narrowing your focus and take the first step to integrate that narrowed focus into your marketing, then this course will help you.
If you want to do deep market research that takes 4 to 6 months to discover a hyper-narrow expensive problem that you can position your business as the solution to, this workshop is not your bag, but my Positioning Accelerator Program might be. Email me for more info.
Will this workshop actually... work?
Probably. Ain't no guarantees in the world of marketing, but most people will get a ridiculously good ROI on the price of this workshop and the time you'll have to invest.
Oh yes... this is not magic fairy dust I sprinkle on your business to increase demand for your services and your rates overnight. But... it works if you work it.
I'll give you proven methods for choosing a strong market position, and I'll help you develop that positioning into a basic website message. With time and followthrough on your part, this will improve your business significantly.
Here are the things that will cause this workshop experience to not work for you:
- If I get hit by a bus and can't teach it. I live just west of Sebastopol, CA where there actually is no bus service, so we should be in good shape here.
- If you don't attend the live presentations and don't do the homework I assign you.
- If you are completely risk-averse. No judgement, but if you're very risk averse this workshop will push a lot of buttons for you ("what? say no to potential clients!?!?!") and I'd recommend you avoid it.
- If you're brand spanking new to self-employment. I like to see my workshop students have a year or two of experience working for themselves before they take this workshop. I can make exceptions, though, if you have a compelling reason why I should. Just email me if you do.
- If you don't believe that by narrowing your focus you can benefit your business. If that's you, just remain on my email list and I'll bring you around to the truth. 😉
Do I need to be a good writer or a creative marketer?
Absolutely not. That's a large part of why I'm doing this workshop: I believe I can provide you with the right templates, processes, and structure to help you develop an improved market position for your business without you having to be a strong writer or clever marketer. Yes, need to have something of value to offer clients, but that's it.
What are the technical requirements to participate?
You'll need the same stuff you'd need for a Skype video call: computer, webcam, headphones with microphone (like Apple earbuds, for example), and a solid, fast internet connection. Those are listed below. You also need the ability to be un-interrupted for each of the live presentations.
What if I hate it, think it sucks, or am dissatisfied?
If that's the case, I will be refunding you in full faster than my dog Malcolm sits down when I pull a treat out of my pocket. Your refund will be contingent on you providing me feedback so I can improve future iterations of this thing.
But please do us both a favor... if you have any questions about this, please email me and ask before signing up. If you know about this event, you are almost certainly on my email list, so just find any email from me, hit REPLY, and tell me what's on your mind. I want this to be the right decision for you.
Will my business or life get better overnight?
No. This is not magic, but I am applying every "make things better rapidly" best practice I know of, so you've got a good shot at seeing significant improvement in 4 to 6 months. You'll need to maintain what we've set in motion for some time after the workshop.
Will you make me torch my existing market position and replace it with some hastily-constructed replacement?
No, we will be developing a new market position that you can roll out publicly as/when you see fit. I'll help you articulate this position into basic website messaging so you're not just left with a positioning statement but no idea of how to move forward from there.
The inertia of your old market position and referral momentum from old clients will naturally slow down over the 4 to 6 months it'll take for your new market position to pick up steam, sort of like handing off the baton in a relay race.
Have you ever done this before?
I have helped hundreds of people like you research, define, validate, or dominate a profitable, desirable market position. You will get the full benefit of my experience during this workshop.
I'm pricing this event at an absolutely no-brainer, bargain price because for the pilot group, yeah, there will certainly be some rough edges. But... the price will not be this low next time, so if you can roll with a few rough edges then now's your chance to get the medicine your ailing business needs to move towards vim, vigor, and profit.
Who should not sign up for this?
- If the cost of the workshop will make or break your monthly budget, please don't do it. Enjoy my free stuff, buy my book, but do not overextend yourself financially to do this workshop. Despite the hype you may see some marketers using, very few marketing investments actually pay immediate returns, and this one is no different. I'm confident you will get a strong return on your investment in this workshop, but it will take some time to materialize.
- If you are completely or mostly risk intolerant, this event will push every button there is for you, and you might consider something with less of a "move fast and break things" kind of ethos. If that's you, my mentoring program would be a better fit because we really emphasize market research and validation there.
- If you hate group events and only want to get help 1-on-1, this is the not droid you are looking for.
- If you're not open to the idea of narrowing down your market position, then this workshop won't make sense to you.
- If you are a tool snob and going to push back against using WordPress to develop a prototype site, that will be a distraction from the business results I am helping you create, and you should find another workshop to help you escape your sinking ship of a commodified, generalist position using Middleman or whatever other tool you can't live without. Or check out my mentoring program where I don't have to be such a hardass about tool choices because we have the luxury of more time.
- If you're a company with more than a single decision-maker, I'm not sure this workshop format is ideal for you. It could work, but please contact me via email to discuss before signing up.
Others have worked with me on positioning. Here is what they have to say: