Specialization School is a Sequence of 3 Workshops, followed by 1 open-ended coaching program
A 4-week process for identifying your best specialization option.
- Structured process to reduce analysis paralysis
- Validation of market size and your level of insight into the market
A 12-week process for learning more about your market so you can connect and build trust with them more effectively. This workshop is recommended only if you finish the previous workshop thinking that you need deeper insight into your target market. If you don't need this, you can skip on ahead to the Basic Lead Generation workshop.
Advanced Marketing: Inbound Lead Generation, Thought Leadership, and Intellectual Property (ongoing coaching)
This open-ended coaching program is open to graduates of the Decision Making and Basic Lead Generation workshops (or newcomers with mastery of those skills).
- Monthly accountability meetings
- Private forum community
Who is Specialization School For?
Generalist self-employed software developers face a revenue ceiling at around $200k/year. You can use several optimization and scaling strategies to move past that ceiling:
- Working harder
- Increasing your rate arbitrarily until you get pushback
- Building a team so you can win larger, more profitable projects
There is another way, though, to move past that $200k revenue ceiling. It is the path of developing deeper, more valuable expertise. This path unlocks the following possibilities:
- Pricing based on value delivered rather than hours worked
- Cultivating expertise that increases your profitability
- Creating products, like books or digital training products, that both produce revenue while you sleep and generate leads for your services
Specialization School is for self-employed software developers who want to develop deeper, more valuable expertise by specializing.
The most successful Specialization School students share the following attributes:
- You get excited about seeing your business improve while also having the patience to execute on multi-year growth plans that involve some delayed gratification
- You are generating at least $90k USD (or your local equivalent if not in the USA) in gross revenue
- You have one day per week you can spend working on this program and if client "emergencies" interfere with this day you are able to make it up on your own time within a few days
- You are willing to operate outside your comfort zone in order to discover new growth options for your business
Perhaps the most important ingredient of success for specialists is a desire to use deeper, more valuable expertise (rather than flexibility, "work ethic", or hustle) to drive your business's success.
If that describes you and you've already figured out how to specialize in a way that gets leads flowing into your inbox and clients happily paying a premium rate to work with you, then 1) you probably don't need Specialization School 2) drop me a line because I'd love to feature your success story by interviewing you on my podcast, The Consulting Pipeline Podcast. 🙂
But if you're still running a generalist software development business and you're wondering how to specialize in a low-risk, sustainable way, Specialization School might just be the experience you need.
Specialization School itself is a new offering, but I've been working with self-employed software developers on specializing for years now. Here's what my clients have to say about this work: https://philipmorganconsulting.com/what-my-clients-say/