Workshop 2: Deepening Market Insight
Learn to read your ideal client's minds in 3 months.
Connecting and building trust with ideal clients is difficult if you don't understand the problems that keep someone with a budget awake at night.
Furthermore, most managers with a budget would get fired or worse if they talked about these problems in public online. This means you can't just Google for the painful or costly problems your vertical is suffering from.
You need to speak to people who understand these problems, and you need to look for patterns that you can build on. Most people are nodding right along with me until they get to the action part of this process, and then they turn into a walking, talking pile of excuses for why they haven't reached out to speak to anyone.
Here's how I'll help you move beyond excuses into action and results:
- I'll give you a simple process for doing this kind of market research. This is not a big deal, and it's not the primary value of this workshop. There are books (Lean Customer Development by Cindy Alvarez is one) with essentially the same information.
- I'll bias you towards action by breaking the action down into small, do-able-in-a-week action steps.
- I'll help you practice the parts that scare most people in a low-stakes, low-pressure situation so you're not afraid of embarrassing yourself while doing live research with real people.
- I'll make sure you never face a "blank sheet of paper" during this process, so you don't suffer from writer's block or analysis paralysis.
- I'll help you implement simple "pre-marketing" steps that increase your chances of connecting with the right people.
- I'll limit the participation to 7 people so that you have lots of time to ask me questions and get "spot consulting" assistance during each of our twelve, 60-minute live meetings.
- I'll set you up with multiple, unique tools and processes that bring as much "plug and play" ease as possible to your decision making about how to specialize.
- I'll help keep you accountable to making progress by breaking the task down into bite-sized chunks you can do on your own time between live meetings. You won't be doing this alone.
At the end of this workshop you'll be competent in using interview-based market research to get inside your ideal client's heads. You'll actually have practiced this skill, and you'll be able to use it any time you need to discover where the ideal combination of pain, urgency, and budget combine to create profitable demand for services like yours.
This workshop will be offered:
- May, 2018 through July, 2018
- October, 2018 through December, 2018
This workshop is a 3-month long workshop because it involves deep market research.
I currently promote and sell this workshop mainly over email to my email list, but you're always invited to apply for the workshop right from this page. You can do that at the bottom of the page.
Pricing works like this:
- T minus 4 weeks before the workshop starts, I email anyone who is both a previous customer/client of mine and still signed up for my email list and offer the workshop to them for the "customer price", which is $500/month(total of $1,500 over 3 monthly payments, $900 off the full workshop price). Customers have 3 weeks to take advantage of this price.
- T minus 3 weeks before the workshop starts, I email the non-customers on my email list and offer the workshop early bird price, which is $600/month (total of $1,800 over 3 monthly payments, $600 off the full workshop price). Non-customers have 1 week to take advantage of the early bird price.
- T minus 2 weeks before the workshop starts, non-customers can sign up for the full price of $800/month (total of $2,400 over 3 monthly payments).
- T minus 1 week: Workshop registration closes about 1 week before the workshop begins to allow time for prep work, etc.
Why should you trust me to help you with this important decision?
Over the years I've helped hundreds of self-employed software developer with this transition from generalist to specialist, and associated issues like deep market research and lead generation using outbound or inbound marketing. Along the way I've developed a specific process for breaking all this down into discrete steps that help you gain clarity and confidence and implement effectively without being overwhelmed.
This page would be super long if I included every kind word from a customer or testimonial here, but you can peruse some of those over here: https://philipmorganconsulting.com/what-my-clients-say/
The price is $500 per month (total of $1,500 over 3 monthly payments) if you're a customer/client of mine, $600 per month (total of $1,800 over 3 monthly payments) if you're a non-customer who pays before the early bird registration deadline (that deadline is 2 weeks before the workshop starts), and $800 full price (total of $2,400 over 3 monthly payments). Make sure you apply as soon as possible because space is limited, and the application deadline for the workshop is 1 week before the workshop begins.
Here's what you're getting when you buy:
- A 12-week online workshop.
- Meetings are held using Zoom.us at 9am to 10am Pacific time (convert that to your local time here) on Mondays during the workshop. These are not webinars. They are actual live meetings where you can ask any and all questions by just talking directly to me. We can screenshare, look at shared Google Docs together, and almost anything else you need to bust through roadblocks or answer tricky questions.
- Access to a private Discourse forum for Q&A between meetings.
- Videos to teach you the important concepts you need to know before each live workshop session and step-by-step video and text instructions to guide you through the action steps for that week.
- 1 Year of continued access to workshop materials (videos, tools, etc.) in case you want to revisit them later.
- A small group environment that should help introverts feel comfortable participating.
- Bonus: You'll get the Complete Bundle of The Positioning Manual for Technical Firms
If you'd like to reserve your seat now, there's a simple application process:
- Do you have a market vertical you would like to investigate? If not, either a) consider signing up for the first workshop in Specialization School before you take this one or b) if you think this workshop might be right for you anyway set up a call with me anyway and we'll discuss.
- Email me: email@example.com
- I'll ask a few questions to make sure you are likely to get a good ROI from this workshop and answer any questions you may have
- If we both agree it's a good fit I'll send you a payment link.
If you have questions, please drop me a line: firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: How much time do I need to put into this workshop each week to get good results?
A: Plan on 4 to 6 hours per week. Some weeks will require less, but if you can free up 4 to 6 hours of "working on the business time" you should be in good shape.
When I started this workshop, I had a lot of ideas about specialization and marketing swirling around in mind but my headspace wasn't focused. Now I am starting to think more specifically in terms of outcomes and value that I can help my ideal customer realize and this has made all the difference in my thinking! I feel more focused, relaxed, and hopeful! Thank you for helping bring about this change in mindset. -- Mayank Patel