- Up to 5 people per coaching group
- One 60m online meeting per week
- Private community for Q&A, troubleshooting, etc.
- You pay for 3 months at a time. $700 x 3 = $2,100 per quarter.
This program supports your progress on five core challenges:
- Publish something on the internet daily (every week day) for the first 90 days of the program. After the first 90 days you are free to decide if you want to continue this daily publication practice or not. The goal is to deepen your expertise and your ability to communicate it in the way that only high-frequency publication can.
- Design and execute on some kind of research project while you're in the program. The goal is ultimately to develop thought leadership content or valuable IP.
- Do everything you can to line up 3 online or IRL speaking engagements over the next year. The engagements can be podcast guest spots, local meetups with 3 drunk randos in the audience, or national-level conferences stuffed full of prospects for your services. I don't care which, you just have to reach out, line up, prepare for, and ultimately execute the talks. The goal is to become perceived as a world-class expert.
- Gain power in the sale. Through a variety of options for gaining power in the sale, you will practice--as Blair Enns so eloquently puts it--"being the prize".
- Formalize IP. Intellectual property for a business like yours is your expertise made usable by non-experts. You'll spend 3 months formalizing your IP through a variety of means.
Those five challenges are the core of this program because they represent the 80/20 sweet spot of building authority and economically valuable expertise. There's other stuff you can do to build this kind of rare, valuable expertise, but there are not other things that you must do.
Think about it like regaining physical fitness after a period of being out of shape. There are lots of things you could do, but only two things most experts agree you must do: 1) build strength through progressive overload strength training and 2) maintain a caloric deficit. This program is like that, but for your business.
You, I, and the rest of your small group will meet via Zoom video call once per week for 60 minutes to discuss progress, troubleshoot roadblocks, and share learnings.
As we do so, we will be guided by 3 ideals:
- Anything you create in this program should be good enough to spread by word of mouth alone.
- Anything you create in this program--if you give it away for free--should be good enough that some would gladly pay real money for it.
- You should be willing to work daily for 2 to 3 years to make ideals 1 and 2 become true in your work. In other words, you should be OK with not living up to ideals #1 and #2 at first so that you can build up the skills you need to ultimately achieve those ideals.
This group will support your progress in the following ways:
- Accountability: me, the group, and the money you've invested all bias you towards taking action.
Who is this for?
- Self-employed software developers or small dev shops who have...
- Defined a clear specialization and have...
- Built a stable business and want to...
- Move into an expert market position using inbound marketing and maybe also want to...
- Develop unique intellectual property that definitively differentiates you from others and can afford to...
- Spend 10 hours/week working on your business
This program has it's own PODCAST!
12 people told me they were interested in maybe being a part of the first cohort of this program. The program was still somewhat vaguely defined at that point, so I made a podcast to update this initial group of 12 people on the program as I worked out its specifics.
This podcast is not listed on iTunes, since it was made for a tiny semi-private audience.
Some of the podcast is me talking about the program itself, which might not be all that interesting to you now.
But the rest of the podcast is me talking about issues that will be of interest to anyone who finds the 5 core challenges of this program interesting. It's me teaching, passing along hard-won lessons, and opining a bit. It's very casual, but it might also be very valuable.
And so if you're interested, you can check it out here: https://theexpertiseincubator.simplecast.fm/
Interested in joining the next Expertise Incubator cohort?
The two best next steps are to 1) check out the private podcast above and then 2) reach out to me directly to make sure the program is a fit for you: