About Philip Morgan
I want there to be a third option on the menu for self-employed software developers.
Right now the menu of well-known options for career development includes 1) operating as a generalist, and 2) “specializing” in a technology platform, framework, language, or functional area of software development (font end, back end, DevOps, etc.).
The generalist option really isn't career development. It's a lot more like treading water for most.
Specializing in a technology leads to a hamster-wheel dynamic of intense learning curves every 5 to 7 years, rapidly decaying value of skills, and very little increasing lifetime value accruing from that learning. Specializing more effectively frees you from this hamster wheel and allows you to develop economically valuable expertise that has a very long shelf life.
Effective specialization for self-employed software developers is the third option I want to add to the menu. Developing a robust, usable framework and best practices around this the transition from generalist to specialist and making those available to the world’s self-employed software developer community has become my life’s work.
With this option on the menu for self-employed software developers, there would be no mystery at all about how to successfully specialize in a way that is met with strong demand from the market and a financially, intellectually, and emotionally rewarding career path.
For devs that choose this option, it’s a way off the hamster wheel.
Clients in 17 countries across 6 continents have taken advantage of my specialization and lead generation advisory services.
I live in Sebastopol, CA with my wife Cheryl and our two Ragdoll cats and look a lot like this:
Around the Web
Podcast Guest Appearances
- TOM MORKES: ITT 085: HOW TO POSITION YOUR COMPANY FOR RAPID GROWTH WITH PHILIP MORGAN: https://tommorkes.com/podcast/philip-morgan/
- Boutique Growth: The Power of Positioning and Specialization with Philip Morgan: https://boutiquegrowth.com/podcast/positioning-specialization-philip-morgan/
- Under the Radar: Episode 1: An interview with authority list builder Philip Morgan: http://nathanpowell.me/podcast/page/2/
- Growth Hackers: Podcast: How Smart Positioning Can Make Your Marketing 10x Better: https://growthhackers.com/articles/podcast-how-smart-positioning-can-make-your-marketing-10x-better?r=latest
- WP-Tonic: 163 Philip Morgan on Positioning Your Web Agency: http://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-ip8ue-2140f29
- Clients from hell podcast: What’s your favourite position?: https://podtail.com/podcast/clients-from-hell-podcast/what-s-your-favourite-position/
- Happy Porch Radio: Episode #4: The Challenges of Recurring Revenue with Philip Morgan: http://happyporchradio.com/episode-4-challenges-recurring-revenue-philip-morgan/
- Bootstrappers.io: EFFECTIVE POSITIONING WITH PHILIP MORGAN – BOOTSTRAPPED WEB: https://bootstrappers.io/2015/05/29/effective-positioning-with-philip-morgan-bootstrapped-web/
- The Freelancer’s Show: https://devchat.tv/show_host/philip-morgan and http://devchat.tv/freelancers/160-fs-a-deep-dive-on-positioning-yourself-as-a-specialist-with-philip-morgan
- Nusii: Creative: A business podcast TCBP: EP04 FROM GENERALIST TO SPECIALIST WITH PHILIP MORGAN: https://blog.nusii.com/?s=philip+morgan
- Double your freelancing: The Business of Freelancing, Episode 22: Philip Morgan on Positioning: https://doubleyourfreelancing.com/positioning/
- Hubstaff Agency Advantage: Agency Advantage 6: Philip Morgan on Commanding Premium Rates With Focused Positioning: https://blog.hubstaff.com/podcast-brand-positioning-strategy/
- Jake Jorgovan: 048: Finding development leads with Philip Morgan: https://jake-jorgovan.com/podcast/048
- Art of Value: How to Create Value Through Positioning with Philip Morgan – 084: http://artofvalue.com/?s=philip+morgan
- Bootstrapped Web:  Effective Positioning with Philip Morgan: http://bootstrappedweb.com/74-effective-positioning-with-philip-morgan/
- Buyer Insights: Find out how positioning can make you more money and deliver more value with Philip Morgan, Author of The Positioning Manual: http://www.buyerinsightspodcast.com/ccff6b05
- UGurus: E23: Building a strong pipeline of clients with Philip Morgan: http://ugurus.com/podcast/episode23
- Developer on Fire: Episode 142 | Philip Morgan – Sharing Hard-Learned Lessons: http://developeronfire.com/podcast/episode-142-philip-morgan-sharing-hard-learned-lessons
- The Startup Success Podcast: SSP 3.24 – Philip Morgan – The Positioning Crash Course: http://www.startupsuccesspodcast.com/home/ssp-324-philip-morgan
- 100K Freelancing: 0118 – Positioning and Professional Value w/Philip Morgan: http://www.100kfreelancing.com/0118-positioning-professional-value-wphilip-morgan/
- Bet the Jockey: IF YOU’RE SPECIALIZED IN IOS, YOU’RE DOING IT WRONG!: http://www.betthejockey.com/youre-specialized-ios-youre-wrong/
- Unofficial Shopify Podcast: How To Kill it With Ecommerce Content Marketing: http://www.unofficialshopifypodcast.com/560e2d27
- Duct Tape Marketing: Increase Profits Through Specialization with Philip Morgan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zptcGUCkha0
- UI Breakfast Podcast. Episode 39: Positioning Your Services with Philip Morgan: https://uibreakfast.com/39-positioning-services-philip-morgan/
- Productize Podcast: How Smarter Positioning Helps You Grow (by Doing Less) with Philip Morgan: http://productizepodcast.com/how-smarter-positioning-helps-you-grow-by-doing-less-with-philip-morgan/
- Freelance Transformation: FT 031: Positioning Your Consulting Business with Philip Morgan: https://freelancetransformation.com/blog/ft-031-positioning-your-consulting-business-with-philip-morgan
- Traffic and Leads Podcast: How to find your niche: http://trafficandleadspodcast.com/leads-tip-how-to-find-your-niche/
- Everyone Hates Marketers: How Smart Positioning Can Make Your Marketing 10x Better: https://everyonehatesmarketers.com/positioning-makes-marketing-10x-better/
- Elusive Moose: Episode 26: Lead Generation with Philip Morgan: https://elusivemoose.com/2016/07/episode-26-lead-generation-philip-morgan/
- Simple Programmer: Philip Morgan identifies the niche to position in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fLiU6jUdZo
- CURTIS MCHALE: Positioning your business with Philip Morgan: https://curtismchale.ca/2016/11/11/positioning-business-philip-morgan/
- BMI Podcast: BMI 029: Generating Leads on Autopilot with Content Marketing: http://www.bmipodcast.com/bmi-029-generating-leads-on-autopilot-with-content-marketing/
- Pricing Power: #41 – Philip Morgan – Get More Leads Without Hiring A Sales Person: https://pricingpower.net/41-philip-morgan/
Articles, Mentions, & Guest Posts
- mokacoding’s 2015 retrospective
- Positioning: How to Stop Cutting Vegetables With a Mallet (doubleyourfreelancing.com)